The College of Medical Sciences and Technology of Chung Shan Medical University (CMS&T-CSMU) was founded in 2001 when Chung Shan Medical and Dental College was granted its university status. The idea of establishing this college was to re-organize those allied health and biomedical programs into a new era of professional education. Our aim is to enhance students’ creativities and research abilities to fulfill the needs for the modern medicines. Currently there are eight academic programs: Schools of Medical Laboratory and Biotechnology, Biomedical Sciences, Optometry, Medical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Psychology and Speech Language Pathology and Audiology. In addition to these diverse undergraduate majors, there are also several graduate degrees and interdepartmental programs offered.
The CMS&T is the largest college at CSMU with annual enrollments of around 600 students. Currently, more than 110 full-time faculty members, alone with more than 130 adjuncts, are serving in the College to provide students with a high quality of education of all healthcare and biomedical disciplines. Most of these faculty members hold doctoral degrees in different professional specialties and provide excellent curricula and research opportunities to our students. Thousands of alumni from this college are serving in healthcare professionals, biotech industry and research institutes around Taiwan and throughout the world. The college has become the major professional educational center in Taiwan.
Professor Shuan-Yow Li was nominated as the first dean of CMS&T and served between 2001 and 2005. Professor Kan-Jen Tsai was the second dean of the college from 2005 to 2011. Professor Tsu-Shing Wang is the current dean of the college (2012 to present).
The CMS&T offers various programs leading to undergraduate and post-graduate degrees, including:
Undergraduate programs (Bachelor of Science)
1. School of Medical Laboratory and Biotechnology
2. School of Biomedical Sciences
3. School of Optometry
4. School of Medical Imaging and Radiological Sciences
5. School of Physical Therapy
6. School of Occupational Therapy
7. School of Speech Language Pathology & Audiology
8. School of Psychology
Post-graduate programs (Master of Science)
1. School of Biomedical Sciences (2005)
2. School of Medical Laboratory and Biotechnology (2007)
3. School of Psychology (3-year Clinical Psychology program) (2007)
4. School of Physical Therapy(2013)
Interdepartmental disciplines (certificate programs; non-degree programs)
1. Molecular Medical Technology
2. Nutraceutical Biotechnology
3. Computational Biology
4. Drug Testing
5. Vision Sciences
6. PACS and Medical Internet
7. Early Intervention Program
8. Holistic Assistive Technology in Communication Disorders
9. Forensic Science
In the future, alone with its success of undergraduate education, CMS&T will gradually strengthen its post-graduate educations to meet the worldwide trend for health care professionals. New masters programs as well as a biomedical doctoral program will be established.